Pregnant Isle of Wight mum violently attacked outside school

An Isle of Wight woman launched a vicious attack on another pregnant mother waiting for her children to finish school and then was abusive to staff members.

Kyra Mellor, of Furrlongs, Newport, appeared before Isle of Wight Magistrates on Friday September 16 for sentencing.

At a previous hearing on August 23, the 27-year-old admitted to being assaulted while beating, in Newport, on January 27.

She also admitted two counts of using threatening, abusive or insulting words/behavior to cause harassment, alarm or distress to a teacher and a learning support assistant, to the same date.

In August, the court heard how the incident happened during school pick-up time at Barton Primary School in the afternoon.

The victim believed a comment she heard was provocative and reacted with an insult, which Mellor countered with a threat of violence, prosecutor Ann Smout told the Isle of Wight Magistrates’ Court .

When the woman challenged her with: “Do your best”, Mellor launched a vicious assault on her – biting her forehead, ripping her hair out with her teeth and hitting her head as she was in a hold head, before taking him to the ground.

The victim suffered bruising to the head and was subsequently ill.

In a statement read out in court, the victim – who was six months pregnant at the time of the attack – said she feared further assault and abuse.

She said the ordeal made her sick and disgusted, and it was hard not to fight back.

Amy Hosell, defending, said Mellor accepted the assault took place, but said no children were present during the incident.

She said Mellor’s behavior was irrelevant and she had since apologized to the parents.

Ms Hossell said Mellor made the wrong decision that day and raised her hand, and was unaware the victim was pregnant at the time.

Magistrates told Mellor his behavior was disgusting and unacceptable, and immediate custody was discussed.

Mellor was placed on a 12-month community order, including 15 days of rehab.

She was fined £40 and ordered to pay costs of £85 and an additional £95.

Comments are closed.